Sleep is an essential part of our life. But it can be really hard if you travel a lot, especially by plane. Falling asleep on a plane is harder than it seems to be. A lot of people are not able to have a good night’s sleep while flying from one country to another, especially if it is a flight from Europe to the US. This happens because they come unprepared.
There are some tips and tricks, which you cannot fly without specifically on an overnight flight when you have to relax and sleep. So, if you want to take a nap on a plane every moment you need it, have a sleeping plan.
Falling Asleep on a Plane
Everyone knows how much of a pain it can be to fall asleep on a plane. It is really hard to get distracted from all the thoughts you have in your head, especially, if you are afraid of flying and are annoyed by all the noises around. But there are some things you can do to fall asleep faster.
So, how should I sleep when I am on a plane?
- Don’t have caffeine before boarding. Replace a cup of coffee with a cup of tea or a glass of water. The same way avoid sugar two-three hours before a flight.
- The most important step is to get your neck pillow. But don’t wear it the normal way. Instead of placing it behind your neck, place it in the front. Thus, your head will be supported while you’re sleeping.
- Don’t forget a sleeping mask. Even if you don’t use it on a daily basis, have one for the airport. Wearing a sleeping mask during a flight helps to block off the light. And this naturally helps to fall asleep faster.
- Similarly to light, block off all sounds. Take either headphones or earplugs. You can even listen to relaxing music if it helps you to fall asleep quicker. Just pick whatever suits you most.
- If you’re planning to use a neck pillow the way we’ve described at the beginning, take a big scarf as well. Roll it up and put around your neck.
- If you are a fan of essential oils, put a drop of lavender oil on the wrists and rub it a little bit. You can also put a drop or two on a sleeping mask as well. Essential oils help to relax, calm down and have a better sleep. Don’t pick any oil. Search for those that are recommended for relaxation and sleeping particularly.
- Get a pair of warm socks. Take your shoes off and put a pair of warm socks on. Keep your feet covered to avoid feeling cold. It immediately brings the atmosphere of cosiness.
- Take a huge scarf to use it as a blanket. You know how cold it can be on a plane. So, if you travel wearing a T-shirt, take a huge warm scarf that doesn’t weigh too much but definitely can replace a real blanket.
- Wear comfortable clothes and footwear. Pick loose and stretchy materials – yoga pants, slip-on sneakers, etc.
We can’t guarantee all of these tricks will work for you, but some of them definitely can drastically improve the quality of your sleep on board. So, try all of them to find the best one.